I’m going home, to the place where I belong… unless my flight is canceled

Monday, March 16, 2015

HelllOOOOOoooOOOo from the runway at the Panama City, Panama airport! We’re about to begin the FINAL stretch of our journey, finally flying back to Dulles, where we should be arriving at about 12:45 AM.


This morning started off a bit harried – we had a 9:15 AM flight to Lima, and the cab that the hostel had called for us was running late, so we were nervous that we would be late for our flight – especially when we got to the airport and the Avianca check in line wasn’t moving AT ALL. There were only two open counters, and one was being monopolized by a psycho old lady who had, I shit you not, 40 TICKETS. FORTY. THE FUCK?!

We felt a bit better when we found out our flight was delayed… until we found out it was delayed for 3 hours. Apparently the plane had flown to Cusco, decided it was too foggy to land, and then flown back to Lima. So much for our two hour layover in Lima?

So, this explained the hold up – the woman was trying to get the airline to delay her connecting flight on a different airline. The attendant who dealt with her deserves a medal. As she walked off, she declared that she was never coming back to Peru again. “Thank God,” sighed everyone in the airport.

When we finally made it to the front of the line, the attendant informed us that our flight was delayed. Surprise! When we asked him how long the delay was, he replied that he would check. He came back 15 minutes later to inform us that we were switching airlines. Apparently, the Avianca flight that we were on was so small that if there was a change in air temperature, they wouldn’t be allowed to let everyone on the plane. This begs the question – if the temperature changes in the air, do you have to throw people off? If so, 40 ticket lady is definitely first to go.

LAN Airlines rocked. They got us tickets on a flight that would JUST miss our connection, but put us on standby for a 10:15 AM flight. We started our plan to take people out so we could get their spots. At one point there were three people trying to check in for the flight with a dog as carry-on, but they were somehow allowed to board after much back and forth. It all worked out, though, because we got seats 1A, B, and C! We sprinted through security, made the plane, and relaxed in our front row seats with spacious leg room and snack boxes.

The rest of the day has been pretty uneventful, and I really should get to my politics readings for tomorrow.

It was a great time, Peru. I will definitely be back some day.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s